Saturday, November 8, 2014

Spaghetti Squash, Mac and Cheese

I like to prepare meals with produce that is currently in season. It saves money and allows me to use local produce. All I have ever made with spaghetti squash is spaghetti or an eggplant super oily dishes. I was looking for a new recipe to try with spaghetti squash. I found this Squash and Cheese recipe here. My family loved it!
Squash and Cheese
1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used asiago)
salt & pepper to taste
basil to garnish (I used two cubes of Dorot frozen basil found at Trader Joes for $1.99)
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375.
Step 2: Clean outside of squash with vegetable wash spray and rinse with water. Click here for my Fruit and Vegetable Wash Spray.
Step 3: Slice spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds. (Use seeds and follow my Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe, here.)

Step 4: Lay squash face down in a baking dish with enough water to cover bottom of pan. Bake for 20-40 minutes, or until tender.
Step 5: While squash is baking, combine butter and flour in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk to make a roux, add milk, and stir in cheese. Turn heat to low and constantly stir until thickened. Add frozen basil cubes. 

Step 6: When squash is done baking scrape out squash with a fork, making spaghetti strands. Add to a bowl and pour cheese sauce over top, combining. Season with salt and pepper. Optional top with fresh basil and/or grated cheese. 
 Cheese sauce mixed in and topped with shredded Asiago Cheese, serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment