Tuesday, October 21, 2014

How To Make Pumpkin Puree

Once upon there was a little pumpkin and a little boy with a hungry tummy......

This little boy was on the quest to find the
perfect sugar/pie pumpkin  for his mommy to make him yummy treats.
Step 1: Get a Sugar/Pie pumpkin. I have in the past also used carving pumpkins, they are just not as sweet.
"This one Mommy!"
Step 2: Clean the pumpkin well to remove all dirt. Then gather your equipment; baking sheet, good knife, bowl to put seeds in, spoon to scoop seeds, cutting board, oil, and preheated oven 350.
Had to show off the awesome knife my husband got me with our name on it.











Step 3: Cut pumpkin in half starting at stem. Stopping when you get to the other side of stem.

Step 4: Pull the two sides apart and remove the stem.

Step 5: Scoop out all the seeds from both halves. Set seeds aside in bowl for later.

Step 6: Brush both halves lightly with olive oil (this is not necessary, but it can prevent a crust from forming). You can see I quartered mine, also not necessary.
Step 7: Put a thin layer of water (about 2 cups) on the bottom of the baking sheet and place pumpkins as shown.
Step 8: Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50-70 minutes checking occasionally. They will be done when easily pierced, allow to cool. I have used the microwave in the past. I used the oven today because I was so cold and wanted to heat up the house.
Microwave Instructions - Place in a microwave safe bowl (pumpkin might need to be cut in smaller pieces) cover with lid or plastic wrap. Steam in microwave for 30-40 min, checking occasionally.Will be done when the pumpkin can be easily pierced. Once done let cool till you can handle without burning yourself. 
These cooked in my oven for 1 hour. Each oven is different. 
Step 9: After cooled scoop out the pumpkin and place on a cheese cloth (I use a piece of muslin doubled over and have also used kitchen towels).
Step 10: Once all pumpkin is on cheesecloth gather all edges and rubber band together. Squeeze as much liquid out as you can.
Step 11: I then hang it up over night to allow more liquid to drain out.
Step 12: Next day I put my Pumpkin Puree in airtight container (I love my Snapware from pyrex they have lifetime warranty on lids and write on tops). Refrigerate or freeze. Use to make pumpkin bread, muffins, cookies, or pie. Makes about 2 1/2 - 3 cups. Before storage an option is to blend the pumpkin to make smoother.






2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, I will sure try this at home! Here in Portugal people use pumpkin mostly for making soup but I love it all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the puree to make soup as well. I have made squash soup and pumpkin creamy pasta sauce with this puree before, but my husband is not a big fan. Have fun!

      Delete